THE SHADOW OF THE CROSS - WEEK 1
The glory of God is represented in the gospel
not in the cross.
The cross has been a symbol of the church for hundreds of years. It's misuse in churches has made the cross lose the truth of what it actually represents. The cross should represent the gospel, the part of the gospel that is somewhat offensive to people. “The cross is not the Gospel, it was the instrument by which the gospel was paid for through the crucifixion.” The glory of God is represented in the gospel not in the cross.
1. Discuss with your group what the cross has meant to you in the past.
2. When you think of crucifixion how do you see the crucifixion and his cross.
3. Take some time to discuss what the gospel really means.
4. Does the thought of Jesus on the cross make you feel broken inside? If so how can you translate this to people you know that don't know the Gospel?
5. What does it mean to take up your cross and follow him?
Read the verses below and then discuss what you guys feel like it means to take up your cross.
Matthew 16:24 - Then Jesus said to His disciples, “If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me. 25 For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it. 26 For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul?
The death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus should be considered more than just one time of year. Talk about how your life group could carry the gospel and the message of the cross to people you know.